thats right. and its not ignorance that stands behind this decision. i simply feel its a ploy. an over exaggeration of something that may happen, and of course a way to make money and further rule our every action. it costs money to get a shot that will prevent me from getting a virus that i may never actually get? and there are limited doses so i have to fight for it too? no thanks.
i am all grown up now and like my parents have accepted i can make decisions all on my own. i dont need the government telling me to take my vitamins. my in-laws told me their doctor insisted if they got their flu shot last year they must get this h1n1 vaccine because they are more susceptible to this new virus. what’s with that? what was in last years shot that now makes her more vulnerable than me?
when i told my parents and in-laws they didnt argue… but my mom sent me this list of ways to avoid.
(THIS is something i wish the media would have expressed from the beginning instead of “GET THE SHOT or you will die” approach.)
The following advice, given by Dr. Oz, makes a lot of sense and is important for all to know: The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it’s almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is. While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):
1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).
2. “Hands-off-the-face” approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat or bathe.)
3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide if you don’t trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don’t underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.
4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water, or hydrogen peroxide. *Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but *blowing the nose softly once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*
5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.
6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they CANNOT survive, proliferate or do any harm.
finally my unlimited intake of coffee turns out to be a good thing!!